Arcadia Knitting

Welcome to the blog of Arcadia Knitting, Chicago's largest yarn store! Owned by sisters Kathy and Sharon Kelly, Arcadia has been serving the Chicago knitting and crocheting community for over six years. Keep up with shop news and read more about our ongoing adventures in yarn...

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Customers complain a lot about yarn taking over their homes. Yarn in the living room, yarn in the bedroom, yarn in the garage. And that's just the sock yarn.

Me, I have no problem with that. I have a lovely set of pull out drawers, silver mesh, with special trays for needles, accessories, and patterns. Organized. All my yarn is in there.

Last night I was driving home from the shop and saw a ball of red alpaca in the spot where we usually keep change for tolls. What kind of toll takes red alpaca? I wanted to listen to a CD, I looked in the glove compartment. No CD's. However, there was one skein of Classic Elite La Gran Mohair in fuchsia, from the 90's by the look of the label, a scrap of a cream yarn I used to make myself a sweater, should keep track of that for repairs, and some nameless brown yarn. Then I remembered a recent trip where we had to change a flat tire by the side of the road and I had such a hard time getting the jack out of the trunk because it was caught on a skein of Jaeger Extra Fine Merino. Hmm.

Are things out of control?

Where I really have yarn:

In the bookcase, 3 skeins of RYC Cashsoft Aran for Chic Knits' Arianne Sweater, put there when we were "cleaning up"
The Chic Knits Arianne sweater on the needles in the ottoman put there when we were "cleaning up" after it sat on the other ottoman for months
In the end table
In three baskets in the living room
In a trunk in the sun room
In three baskets in the bedroom

Found at the store:
Materials for samples for entrelac pillow class
one bag of yarn I just had to have six months ago
samples of my first spinning experiments

NO YARN
Dining Room
Kitchen
Bathroom

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

I was noticing at 5:00am that yarn seems to be taking over our tiny apartment quicker than I would expect. Considering I can barely knit through this pregnancy I can't figure out how the yarn is getting around. It's sneaking in when I'm not looking?

4/28/2007 4:28 AM  
Blogger Arcadia Knitting said...

Yes, yarn pixies often leave things in the night. They are not harmless, per se, since they are leaving yarn, which is a nice thing to do. But sometimes the yarn reminds you of all the things you should be doing, which is bad. Maybe they yarn pixies are rearranging the yarn while they are dusting and cleaning the tub.

Kathy

4/28/2007 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home